It struck me this morning as I re-packed at the last minute that I’m carrying the same two pieces of luggage that I carried to field school in Sicily, with a few crucial differences:
1) For field school I brought two family sized shampoos and two family sized conditioners. Now I use shampoo maybe every 5 days and just condition. It’s better for my hair anyway.
2) For field school I had an obscene amount of field clothes- most of my duffel bag consisted of t-shirts that I never wore. Granted we didn’t have access to a washing machine, but still. I would much rather run out of dig clothes than clean, none sweaty, non dirty clothes to change into.
3) A pair of boots. For field school I wore sneakers. Oh how young and naive I was.
4) Running clothes and running shoes. No wonder everything hurt after that first dig- I never stretched after being cramped into a trench all day.
5) Make-up. Now I still have make-up packed but these days you’ll be hard pressed to see me in anything other than mascara, if I’m wearing any at all. The days of doing my face in the morning are gone.
6) For field school I packed a hairdryer, salon brush, and hairspray. Not that any of it was usable with European plugs, but I still had it. As for what I’ve packed now, see the first comment about my hair.
7) An iPad. Thank God tablets were invented.
Now I’ll open it up: what did you bring to field school that was wildly impractical? What have you learned about packing for the field since then?